Tuesday, December 06, 2011

‘Tis the Season for Giving...


In anticipation of the usual hordes of Christmas shoppers, Park Royal is providing valet parking service, but I didn’t notice many takers when I was at the mall recently. In fact, it seemed rather quiet compared to other years. Could be that with the dire predictions for more global economic turmoil, folks are refusing to participate in the usual orgy of consumption and debt. With the recently announced jobless figures and projected budget shortfall, it’s harder to make merry this year. I find in a season of anxiety and uncertainty, it helps to count one’s blessings and to give to those in need. There are so many worthy causes, but this year, I’ve decided to support organizations close to home. If you cannot give financially, give of your time and energy.
Here is an opportunity to identify good causes that need our support here on the North Shore. Tell us about their programs and services that make a difference in the lives of others.

15 comments:

John Sharpe said...

I have a request from the author of this post to remove off topic comments.

Don McBain said...

And so you should John if so reguested. I actually thought it was your post.

Anonymous said...

A gift to North Shore Neighbourhood House is a wonderful way to make a difference in our community. For over 70 years, the House has been the heart of the community, improving the lives of frail seniors, young parents and children of all ages. Check out their many programs at www.nsnh.bc.ca.

Anonymous said...

There are so many worthy causes so I would encourage anyone considering such a donation to just follow your heart. You can't go wrong.

Anonymous said...

Here's something you can do that won't cost anything.
Special Olympics BC-North Shore has made it to the semi-finals of the AVIVA Community Fund Competition. Follow this link to cast a vote each day until Dec. 16 and pass this information on.

http://www.avivacommunityfund.org/ideas/acf11244

sue lakes cook said...

We put a box in our foyer of our small apartment last week. I made a trip to the Sally Ann two days after we placed it. I will be making another trip today.

Our site where I work is always number one and we have received $800.00 this year (usually the staff may go out to dinner or some such event) Since there are only 4 of us there we thought we would rather give it away. This year we are buying $800.00 worth of food vouchers and giving it to the Family Services to distribute.

Last year we gave them the $500.00 we won.

I really worry there are a lot of people out there (especially seniors) who are too proud to admit that they need help and slip through the cracks.

The Salvation Army is the only organization I trust 100% where the donations will actually go to those who need help the most.

Anonymous said...

I refuse to support the Salvation Army due to their homophobic policies. My money goes to youth at risk support agencies like Covenant House.

Don McBain said...

Good for you Sue!

Every little but helps.

And thanks for posting with a real name, and I do know you as you do me.

sue lakes cook said...

Sorry Don, but you are not familiar to me at all, where would I know you from?

Anonymous said...

Sue, I am from Delbrook, Kaye Carter, etc.

sue lakes cook said...

sorry - Delbrook is so long ago!!!!
Can't find you in the yearbook

Anonymous said...

Could someone please tell me that if Muslims do not believe in Christmas why are there so many Iranian families in the free toy shop run by the Christmas bureau?

Anonymous said...

Greed is part of human nature. Once you advertise anything as “free” you will attract greed. Greed has no ethnic boundaries so no need to stereotype.

Anonymous said...

Not all Iranians are Muslim. There is a segment of the population which is Christian.

Anonymous said...

True approximately 1.5% are Christians